store 212-879-8669
insurance 855-879-8669|prescription fax 855-291-5930

Nursing On Cloud Nine

Aug 6, 2013 12:36:39 PM

When Yummy Mummy founder Amanda Cole first started breastfeeding her now 5-year-old daughter, she ran into a few roadblocks. The products and supplies that she needed were scattered from store to store and across various websites, and she felt she didn’t have the support she needed. Getting acclimated with the complex choreography of baby feeding was a stressful experience for the first-time mom; so stressful, in fact, that she broke down in tears one day after realizing she purchased the wrong type of breast pump.

“My whole experience with getting breastfeeding products was so difficult. I thought, ‘Breastfeeding is hard enough. There has to be an easier way,’” remembers Cole, who also nursed her second child.

Cole made it her mission to help other breastfeeding mothers like herself and opened Yummy Mummy on the Upper East Side in May of 2009. With clear, user-friendly displays, knowledgeable staff members, and a welcoming environment, the boutique is dedicated to making breastfeeding a positive experience for women.

“There are oftentimes unexpected hurdles along the way,” Cole says. “And we’re just there to help and not judge—and to be support for you.”

Cole likes to refer to the store as a “one-stop shop” that has everything new or expectant moms need for breastfeeding, all conveniently located in one place. While about 80% of the products are geared toward breastfeeding moms—including breast pumps, nursing pillows, and nursing bras—Yummy Mummy offers items to suit just about any new mom’s needs, such as bottles, postpartum care products, and maternity clothing.

But you won’t find rattles or playmats on the shelves.

“A lot of the time I’ll get manufacturers who come and pitch different baby products,” Cole says. “[But] we try to stay true to it being all about mom.”

A great breastfeeding experience is about more than just the right supplies, of course. Having support and encouragement is just as important. In addition to providing all of the gear and equipment that moms need for breastfeeding, Yummy Mummy also offers various types of classes. Some of the more popular ones are Childbirth Preparation, Baby Safety & CPR, and Doula Speed Dating, in which expectant women meet five to ten doulas in one session, making the search for a labor coach relatively quick and easy.

The store’s most well-attended class, however, is the obvious choice: “A lot of moms have met their closest friends at our Breastfeeding Support Group,” Cole says. “They come here; their babies are the exact [same] age. They bond, they see each other weekly, and then they leave and go for lunch. I think some really nice friendships have formed.”

Although the store opened during the recession, the business has been steadily growing over the past four years. One recent boon for business has been the Affordable Care Act, which was signed into law last summer. The ACA requires that health insurance plans cover women’s preventative services, which includes breast pumps, breast pump supplies, counseling, and support. In fact, Yummy Mummy recently opened a call center—also on the Upper East Side—where they receive orders and ship breast pumps across the country every day.

“We’ve been working closely with different insurance plans to provide breast pumps to moms all over the country,” Cole says. By partnering with various companies, Yummy Mummy has made pumps more easily accessible through Aetna Health Insurance, Blue Shield – CA, Cigna, EmblemHealth (GHI and HIP), Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, Lifewise, POMCO Group, and Premera Blue Cross—with plans to further expand in the near future.

While she spends a lot of time finding new and helpful products for moms, Cole says her favorite part of her job is still working with her clientele. “We have the best customers,” she says. “They’re so appreciative of all the services and products that we offer, and that makes us feel really good.”

Having eventually achieved breastfeeding bliss with both of her own children, Cole knows how important it is for a new mother to be supported through such a delicate choice. To that end, Cole says that Yummy Mummy’s focus always remains on the individual: the mom who needs some advice on what kind of breast pump to buy or how she can get her newborn to feed more efficiently.

“My biggest priority is just maintaining the same level of customer service that we’ve always had,” she adds. “I think that’s really what defines us.”

Read More »
Posted to In the News by The Administrator

Oral Development

Jul 30, 2013 10:55:35 AM

Boob Scoop

Boob Scoop: Pediatricians advise parents to wean their baby off the bottle by the end of the first year, in part, because long-term bottle drinking can damage a baby's teeth. The one-year recommendation is not applicable to breastfeeding. In fact, among many other benefits, a longer duration of breastfeeding is linked to better oral development. During breastfeeding the unique motion performed by the tongue and jaw help to ensure that the palate develops in a rounded U-shape, which allows for proper teeth alignment. Having a U-shaped palette also decreases the likelihood of snoring and sleep apnea later on in life. http://yummymummystore.com/blog/ Sharen Medrano, Yummy Mummy Support Group IBCLC (www.nycbreastfeeding.com)Read More »

Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Nipple Cleaning

Jul 23, 2013 10:59:33 AM

Boob Scoop

Boob Scoop: When showering, plain water is sufficient to keep the nipple and areola clean. During lactation, natural oils are secreted from the tiny glands on the areola which prevent bacteria from breeding. Soaps can mask or remove the natural oils, which the infant uses as a way to locate the breast. In addition, rubbing some expressed milk on the nipple and air-drying after nursing is also beneficial thanks to breastmilk's anti-infective properties. http://yummymummystore.com/blog/ Sharen Medrano, Yummy Mummy Support Group IBCLC (www.nycbreastfeeding.com)Read More »

Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Prolactin Levels

Jul 16, 2013 4:06:17 PM

Boob Scoop

Although it may seem more manageable to pump one breast at a time, double pumping tends to yield more milk since a mother's Prolactin levels are highest when both breasts are stimulated. Another way to boost your Prolactic level? Nurse your baby on one side while you pump the other breast. This tip is especially helpful for moms whose babies feed from one breast per feeding. The breastmilk accumulated from the pumped side can be saved to build an emergency stash in your freezer.

Sharen Medrano, Yummy Mummy Support Group IBCLC (www.nycbreastfeeding.com)Read More »
Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Nighttime Feeding

Jul 9, 2013 2:07:48 PM

Boob Scoop

Nighttime feeds are very important for informing the breasts how much milk to make for the next day. The level of a mom's milk-making hormone Prolactin is highest between 2AM and 6AM. This means that if your baby nurses during the night, it will help you release high levels of Prolactin in the night, which will result in more milk the next day. Here are a few other great points that may help you view night feedings in a more positive light. http://breastfeedchicago.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/5-cool-things-no-one-ever-told-you-about-nighttime-breastfeeding/

Sharen Medrano, Yummy Mummy Support Group IBCLC (www.nycbreastfeeding.com)

Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Spit Up!

Jul 2, 2013 10:32:37 AM

Boob Scoop

Boob Scoop: Almost all babies will spit up after some feedings. If your breastfed baby is gaining weight well and has good urine and stool output (6-8 wet ones and at least 3 bowel movements in 24 hours; in babies over 6 weeks old, fewer bowel movements are normal), then spitting up is more of a laundry problem than a medical issue. Most healthy babies will outgrow the spitting up stage within 4-6 months. For tips on how to minimize spit up and to help determine if the spitting up is, in fact, NOT just a laundry problem, check out this helpful link: http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Starting Solids

Jun 25, 2013 11:41:59 AM

Boob Scoop

When you begin to offer your baby solids, you may want to consider breastfeeding first and then offering the solid food. Breastfeeding first helps to keep milk supply steady, follows the recommendation that breastmilk remain the primary source of nutrition during the first year and reinforces a solids rule of thumb: Solids before one, is mostly just for fun! For more great info. on starting solids, visit: https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/when-best-time-start-my-baby-foods-other-breastmilk/

Posted to Boob Scoop by Mary Ausman

Milk Blisters

Jun 18, 2013 9:10:53 AM

Boob Scoop

If you've ever had a milk blister on your nipple, you most likely remember how painful one can be. Like a paper cut, it makes you wonder how something so small could hurt so much! Improper latching and an oversupply are the most common causes of milk blisters. Here's a helpful overview on what they are and ways to treat them: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Posted to Boob Scoop by Amanda Cole

Simple is Best for Mothering Advice

Jun 11, 2013 9:18:22 PM

Boob Scoop

Concise and practical information is usually all mothers need to get breastfeeding off to a good start. You'll be happy to have read this excellent piece if you're due soon. http://fullbellysisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/five-things-you-can-do-during-your.html

Sharen Medrano, Yummy Mummy Support Group IBCLC (www.nycbreastfeeding.com)

Posted to Boob Scoop by Amanda Cole

The Benefits of Cups with Straws

Jun 4, 2013 3:06:39 PM

Boob Scoop

If transitioning your baby to using a cup, consider one with a straw. Breastfed babies tend to do better with a straw cup since it's more similar to how they extract milk from the breast. Cups with a straw are also said to be better for speech development, since they allow for the tongue to move into a more natural position. Dentists love them too since liquid flows quicker through the mouth, and therefore spends less time on the teeth. Despite these benefits, some moms think their babies' experience gassiness from using a straw cup. So if your baby prefers the spout for starters, that's fine too! Eventually, we all learn to drink from a straw. Here are some great tips on how to introduce a straw cup: http://www.parentingstartshere.com/index.php/2011/12/13/how-to-introduce-a-straw-cup-to-your-baby-or-toddler

Posted to Boob Scoop by Amanda Cole

Items 61 to 70 of 115 total

per page
Page: