Notice of Information / Privacy Practices
As Required by the Privacy Regulations Promulgated Pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW HEALTH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO YOUR IDENTIFIABLE HEALTH INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.
A. OUR COMMITMENT TO YOUR PRIVACY
Our organization is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your identifiable health information. In conducting our business, we will create records regarding you and the treatment and services we provide to you. We are required by law to maintain the confidentiality of health information that identifies you. We also are required by law to provide you with this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices concerning your identifiable health information. By law, we must follow the terms of the notice of privacy practices that we have in effect at the time.
To summarize, this notice provides you with the following important information:
- How we may use and disclose your identifiable health information
- Your privacy rights in your identifiable health information
- Our obligations concerning the use and disclosure of your identifiable health information.
The terms of this notice apply to all records containing your identifiable health information that are created or retained by our practice. We reserve the right to revise or amend our notice of privacy practices. Any revision or amendment to this notice will be effective for all of your records our practice has created or maintained in the past, and for any of your records we may create or maintain in the future. Our organization will post a copy of our current notice in our offices in a prominent location, and you may request a copy of our most current notice during any office visit.
B. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS NOTICE, PLEASE CONTACT:
Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028; (212) 879-8669; (855) 879-8669.
C. WE MAY USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS
The following categories describe the different ways in which we may use and disclose your identifiable health information:
- Treatment. Our organization may use your identifiable health information to treat you. For example, we may perform a follow-up interview and we may use the results to help us modify your treatment plan. Many of the people who work for our organization may use of disclose your identifiable health information in order to treat you or to assist others in your treatment. Additionally, we may disclose your identifiable health information to others who may assist in your care, such as your physician, therapists, spouse, children, or parents.
- Payment. Our organization may use and disclose your identifiable health information in order to bill and collect payment for the services and items you may receive from us. For example, we may contact your health insurer to certify that you are eligible for benefits (and for what range of benefits), and we may provide your insurer with details regarding your treatment to determine if your insurer will cover, or pay for, your treatment. We also may use and disclose your identifiable health information to obtain payment from third parties who may be responsible for such costs, such as family members. Also, we may use your identifiable health information to bill you directly for services and items.
- Health Care Operations. Our organization may use and disclose your identifiable health information to operate our business. As examples of the ways in which we may use and disclose your information for our operations, our organization may use your health information to evaluate the quality of care you received from us or to conduct cost-management and business planning activities for our practice.
- Appointment Reminders. Our organization may use and disclose your identifiable health information to contact you and remind you of visits/deliveries.
- Health-Related Benefits and Services. Our organization may use and disclose your identifiable health information to inform you of health-related benefits or services that may be of interest to you.
- Release of Information to Family/Friends. Our organization may release your identifiable health information to a friend or family member who is helping you pay for your health care of who assists in taking care of you.
- Disclosures Required By Law. Our organization will use and disclose your identifiable health information when we are required to do so by federal, state, or local law.
D. USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR IDENTIFIABLE HEALTH IN CERTAIN SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
The following categories describe unique scenarios in which we may use or disclose your identifiable health information:
- Public Health Risks. Our organization may disclose your identifiable health information to public health authorities who are authorized by law to collect information for the purpose of :
- Maintaining vital records, such as births and deaths
- Reporting child abuse or neglect
- Preventing or controlling disease, injury, or disability
- Notifying a person regarding potential exposure to a communicable disease
- Notifying a person regarding a potential risk for spreading or contracting a disease or condition
- Reporting reactions to drugs or problems with products or devices
- Notifying individuals if a product or device they may be using has been recalled
- Notifying appropriate government agency(ies) and authority(ies) regarding the potential abuse or neglect of an adult patient (including domestic violence); however, we will only disclose this information if the patient agrees or we are required or authorized by law to disclose this information
- Notifying your employer under limited circumstances related primarily to workplace injury or illness or medical surveillance.
- Regarding a crime victim in certain situations, if we are unable to obtain the person’s agreement
- Concerning a death we believe might have resulted from criminal conduct
- Regarding criminal conduct at our offices
- In response to a warrant, summons, court order, subpoena, or similar legal process
- To identify/locate a suspect, material witness, fugitive, or missing person
- In an emergency, to report a crime (including the location or victim(s) of the crime, or the description, identity or location of the perpetrator)
E. YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR IDENTIFIABLE HEALTH INFORMATION
You have the following rights regarding the identifiable health information that we maintain about you:
- Confidential Communications. You have the right to request that our organization communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner or at a certain location. For instance, you may ask that we contact you at home, rather than work. In order to request a type of confidential communication, you must make a written request to Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028 specifying the requested method of contact or the location where you wish to be contacted. Our organization will accommodate reasonable requests. You do not need to give a reason for your request.
- Requesting Restrictions. You have the right to request a restriction in our use or disclosure of your identifiable health information for the treatment, payment, or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that we limit our disclosure of your identifiable health information to individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members and friends. We are not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies, or when the information is necessary to treat you. In order to request a restriction in our use of disclosure of your identifiable health information, you must make your request in writing to Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028. Your request must describe in a clear and concise fashion: (a) the information you wish restricted; (b) whether you are requesting to limit our practice’s use, disclosure, or both; and (c) to whom you want the limits to apply.
- Inspection and Copies. You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of the identifiable health information that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records, but not including psychotherapy notes. You must submit your request in writing Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028 in order to inspect and/or obtain a copy of your identifiable health information. Our organization may charge a fee for the costs of copying, mailing, labor, and supplies associated with your request. Our practice may deny your request to inspect and/or copy in certain limited circumstances; however, you may request a review of our denial. Reviews will be conducted by another licensed health care professional chosen by us.
- Amendment. You may ask us to amend your health information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and you may request an amendment for as long as the information is kept by or for our organization. To request an amendment, your request must be made in writing and submitted to Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028. You must provide us with a reason that supports your request for amendment. Our organization will deny your request if you fail to submit your request (and the reason supporting your request) in writing. Also, we may deny your request if you ask us to amend information that is: (a) accurate and complete; (b) not part of the identifiable health information kept by or for the organization; (c) not part of the identifiable health information which you would be permitted to inspect and copy; or (d) not created by our organization, unless the individual or entity that created the information is not available to amend the information.
- Accounting of Disclosures. All of our patients have the right to requests an “accounting of disclosures.” An “accounting of disclosures” is a list of certain disclosures our organization has made of your identifiable health information. In order to obtain an accounting of disclosures, you must submit your request in writing to Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028. All requests for an “accounting of disclosures” must state a time period which may not be longer than six years and may not include dates before April 14, 2003. The first list you request within a 12-month period is free of charge, but our practice may charge you for additional lists within the same 12-month period. Our organization will notify you of the costs involved with additional requests, and you may withdraw your request before you incur any costs.
- Right to a Paper Copy of This Notice. You are entitled to receive a paper copy of our notice of privacy practices. You may ask us to give you a copy of this notice at any time. To obtain a paper copy of this notice, contact Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028.
- Right to File a Complaint. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with our organization or with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. To file a complaint with our organization, Compliance Officer, Yummy Mummy, LLC, 1201 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10028. All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for filing a complaint.
- Right to Provide an Authorization for Other Uses and Disclosures. Our organization will obtain your written authorization for uses and disclosures that are not identified by this notice or permitted by applicable law. Any authorization you provide to us regarding the use and disclosure of your identifiable health information may be revoked at any time in writing. After you revoke your authorization, we will no longer use or disclose your identifiable health information for the reasons described in the authorization. Please note that we are required to retain records of your care.
Notification of Information Practices Summary and Consent Form As Required by HIPAA
The purpose of the consent form is to inform you, the customer, how your personal health information is used and/or disclosed by Yummy Mummy, LLC as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). We want you to be fully aware of what we do with your information so that you can provide us with your consent in order for us to treat your health care needs, receive payment for services rendered, and allow administrative and other types of health care operations to happen, which are part of normal business activities of Yummy Mummy.
I understand that as part of my health care, this organization originates and maintains health records, where applicable, describing my health history, symptoms, test results, diagnoses, treatment, and plans for future care or treatment. I understand that this information serves as:
- A basis for planning my care and treatment.
- A means of communication among my diagnosis/es and other health information to my bill(s).
- A source of information for applying my diagnosis/es and other health information to my bill(s).
- A means by which my health plan or health insurance company can verify that services billed were actually provided.
- A tool for routine health care operations in this organization, such as ensuring that we have quality processes and programs in place and making sure that the professionals who provide your care are competent to do so.
I understand that:
- I have been provided with a Notice of Information / Privacy Practices that provides specific examples and descriptions of how my personal health information is used and disclosed by Yummy Mummy;
- I have the right to review the Notice of Information / Privacy Practices;
- Yummy Mummy can change its Notice of Information / Privacy Practices but notify me of those changes before they are put into practice and will mail me a copy of the new Notice to the address that I have provided;
- I have the right to request restrictions as to how my health information may be used or disclosed to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations and that Yummy Mummy is not required to agree to those restrictions;
- Any restrictions to which Yummy Mummy agrees to will be respected.
- I may revoke this consent in writing at any time. Further, I am aware that Yummy Mummy can proceed with uses and disclosures that pertain to treatment, payment, or healthcare issues that took place before the consent was revoked.